Sunday, August 1, 2010

Long day

The organisers landed out all gliders today. Yesterday the forecast said "not suitable for cross country soaring" - most of us got home. Today the met said "more stable, so better!"
It WAS more stable but NOT better! The first turn for Open class was in the middle of a hilly area with no landing possibilities for about 15km, thermals were 1-2kts [at best] to about 1500' agl in this area. I was almost the first there but had to escape 90 degrees to track for about 12km to get a climb [I was looking for a field to fire up over] The gaggle rolled me there but by the second turn I was in the top three. After some lucky low saves and a second Danube crossing I joined with the US team of Ron Tabery and Garret Willat and with UK pilot Pete Harvey as well. Ron was a little behind but with our info [to stay in 1 kt!] won the day and I managed 7th for 957 pts bringing me up to 19th.
Stats for the day: 37% thermalling, 1.1 kt avg, 87.7:1 overall L/D.
David had a bad run and you know about Graham. I was alone or in good company today so no scares.
Many 15M class gliders landed in Serbia and last heard crews were still waiting at the border to get in!
I hope tomorrow is shorter, over 6.30 today.
Tom

1 comment:

  1. Well Done Tom! We are amazed by the stories this morning. (!!!!!)

    ReplyDelete